INEA is an Executive Agency established by the European Commission to implement parts of EU funding programmes for transport, energy and telecommunications:
The Connecting Europe Facility (CEF): a key EU funding instrument supporting the development of high-performing, sustainable and interconnected Trans-European Networks in the fields of transport, energy and telecommunications.
Horizon 2020: the EU's Research and Innovation programme supporting world-class science and technology. INEA is managing parts of the programme in the areas of transport and energy.
The Agency also manages a number of legacy projects supported by the TEN-T and Marco Polo programmes.
INEA's mission is to provide its stakeholders with expertise and high-level programme management, whilst promoting synergies among programmes, in order to benefit economic growth and EU citizens.
INEA has a multinational team of over 230 specialists in project management, finance, and engineering covering the fields of transport, energy and telecommunications.
The number of INEA staff is expected to grow significantly over the coming years. The purpose of this publication is therefore to set up a reserve list which will be used to cover these growing needs of the Agency.
INEA is based in Brussels and offers contemporary working environment, as well as numerous sports and social activities.
More information on INEA
Communication - Communication Manager
COMMUNICATION MANAGER M/F
The jobholder will be a member of unit INEA.R1 (Programme Support, Coordination & Communication). S/he will report to the Head of the Communication and Event Management sector, and to the Head of Unit. S/he will contribute to the definition and implementation of INEA's Communication strategy and to the conception, design and implementation of communication and visibility actions, channels, tools and products related to the CEF Programme and parts of the Horizon 2020 programme entrusted to the Agency.
Internal and external communication :
Contribute to the implementation, promotion, monitoring and evaluation of the Agency's strategy for internal and external communication, including:
• Contributing to the promotion and visibility of the CEF and H2020 programmes (promoting funding opportunities, project results and successes, engaging with stakeholders/beneficiaries and providing communication support)
• Liaising with counterparts in the Commission's parent DGs on communication strategy and activities, and managing relations with different stakeholders
• Managing parts of INEA's website (based on Drupal content management system), creating and updating its content
• Coordinating press and media actions, including use of a press database and drafting press releases, briefings, articles, speeches and background papers needed for communication activities and public relations by the Agency, Commission parent DGs or the Commissioners in charge of the programmes managed by the Agency
• Contributing to the strategy for and effective use, monitoring and evaluation of social media tools, drafting social media content
• Drafting and checking publications and other written material
• Assisting in the management of other communication activities and the production of materials (videos, publications, infographics, presentations, photos etc.) where appropriate by outsourcing components to outside professionals
• Contributing to the setting up, implementation, supervision, monitoring and evaluation of external and internal events (including conferences, exhibitions, information days, workshops, special events, staff events)
• Carrying out communication campaigns
• Promoting INEA's contribution to the wider EU agenda and supporting staff as 'ambassadors'
• Contributing to internal communication actions and initiatives to support delivery of objectives, and strengthen engagement and team spirit – including management and update of the Intranet, production of internal newsletters and carrying out internal campaigns
• Developing and implementing proposals and plans on how to further develop the Agency's internal and external communication activities using a range of communication channels and tools
• Reporting regularly both internally and externally on results
• Representing the Agency at external events
Perform coordination tasks in the implementation of the communication strategy and activities including:
• Coordinating communication strategy, activities, events and products across different services of the Commission – in particular the Agency's parent DGs
• Coordinating communication strategy, activities, events and products across different services of the Agency
• Providing the different units of the Agency with services, expertise, support, training and advice in the field of communication
• Drafting communication guidelines for the staff and for use by project partners
Interview period - from :
Interview period : to
A - Written tests (30 min)
A case study in English designed to test:
• Your knowledge in the field of the profile
• Your ability to understand, analyse and summarise
• Your drafting ability
This test will be marked out of 40 (pass mark: 20).
Total time allowed for this test: 30 minutes.
B – Oral test (30 min)
Interview with the Selection Committee in English to assess:
• Your suitability to carry out the duties of a Communication Manager
• Your specialist knowledge in the field of communication
• Your communication, inter-personal and problem-solving skills
• Your general knowledge about the INEA and related policies
• Your motivation and ability to adjust to working as a contract agent in a multicultural environment
This test will be marked out of 100 (pass mark: 50).
Both the oral and written tests will be combined on a total of 140. Minimum mark: 84 out of 140.
Applicants receiving the minimum score and above (84 out 140), all tests combined, will be included in a reserve list of suitable candidates. Please note that inclusion in the reserve list does not guarantee recruitment.
For applications to be valid, candidates must submit:
A detailed curriculum vitae, in EU CV format
A motivation letter, including his/her views on the proposed position (2 pages maximum)
Your EPSO candidate ID number and the reference of CAST must be mentioned in your CV and motivation letter.
Please note that the motivation letter forms an essential basis for the pre-selection decision.
Applications must be submitted through the eRecruitment system on INEA website:
Closing date: 14 April 2017 at midnight.
Supporting documents showing evidence of the provided information may be requested at a later stage. No document will be sent back to candidates.
Candidates are invited to apply in English to facilitate the selection process.
In no circumstances should candidates approach the Selection Committee themselves, either directly or indirectly concerning this recruitment. The authority habilitated to conclude contracts reserves itself the right to disqualify any candidate who disregards these instructions.
Appointment and conditions of employment
The jobholder will be recruited as contract agent, in function group IV, pursuant to Article 3a of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Communities (CEOS).
The basic monthly salary within this function group depends on the number of years of relevant professional experience at appropriate level (in function group IV, either grade 13, grade 14 or grade 16).
The jobholder will serve a probation period of nine months.
The initial contract will be for a duration of 2 years and may be renewed.
The place of employment will be Brussels.
Please find detailed information on the legal framework of contract agents on the following web site : http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CONSLEG:1962R0031:20140101:EN:PDF
Publication start date
Publication end date
Publication extension date
Be owner of a CAST established before 2017 in the grade for which you are applying* or be registered in the EPSO/CAST/P/11/2017 or EPSO/CAST/P/17/2017 in the grade for which you are applying
A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma or, When in a member state of the European Union access to a profession of an equivalent level to function group IV is by State examination, professional training or any other equivalent procedure, the authority authorised to conclude contract of employment may agree to recognise this qualification as being equivalent to a university degree
Thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the Communities and a satisfactory knowledge of another EU language to the extent necessary to perform his/her duties
*Candidates must be included in the European Personnel Selection Office (EPSO) data base for contract agents in function group IV in a field appropriate to the profile of the post and have successfully passed the EPSO selection tests for that function group or having successfully passed a competition that has been certified by EPSO.
Please note that candidates who are on a valid EPSO list published in 2010 (CAST2010) are eligible on the condition they have successfully passed the complementary tests (DB3), as an Annex to the selection procedure CAST2010. These candidates should consult the letter they received from EPSO for further information.
Other eligibility criteria
In addition, in order to be eligible a candidate must:
Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union
Be entitled to his or her full rights as citizen
Meet the appropriate character reference as to his/her suitability for the performance of his/her duties
Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the applicable laws concerning military service
Be physically fit to perform the duties of the post
At least five years of professional experience acquired in positions related to the profile of the post, in particular in communication and coordination
Very good knowledge of English and French and/or German (read, speak) and in particular excellent drafting skills in English
Experience in working with websites (Drupal), social media, and graphic design tools (Photoshop, Illustrator and In-Design)
University degree in communication, media studies or an equivalent subject
Experience as Communication Manager or equivalent, preferably in an EU body
Knowledge of the relevant policy fields and/or EU funding
Experience and ease in public speaking (including experience in making public presentations)
Very good command of additional European Union languages
Personal qualities essential for the position (evaluated during the interview):
Very good coordination and problem-solving skills
Good interpersonal and communication skills
High degree of organisational skills and ability to work under pressure and to deliver under tight deadlines
High sense of initiative
Ability to work as a team member
Dynamic and innovative approach
- English (Proficient C2)
- French (Proficient C2)
- German (Proficient C2)
Updates on the application process
An acknowledgement of receipt will be sent to all candidates by email to confirm the reception of their application.
All candidates will be informed in due time about the status of their application, i.e. whether they are invited for the selection phase described above or not. These notifications will be sent via email only.
A candidate may request clarifications about the processing of his/her application by sending an email quoting the reference of the vacancy notice concerned, to the following address INEA-HR-INFO@ec.europa.eu.
Equal opportunities, appeal procedure & data protection
The European Union institutions apply a policy of equal opportunities and accept applications without discrimination on the ground of sex, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic features, language, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, disability, age or sexual orientation.
A candidate who estimates that a mistake was made in the assessment of his/her profile may ask to have it re-assessed by sending, within 15 calendar days of the date on the email notifying the rejection of his/her application, a request for review, quoting the number of the selection procedure concerned to the Chairman of the Selection Committee at the following address: INEA-HR-INFO@ec.europa.eu
The Selection Committee will reconsider the application and notify the candidate of its decision within 15 working days of receipt of the letter.
The purpose of processing of the data submitted by candidates is to manage the applications in view of a possible pre-selection and recruitment at the INEA. The personal information requested from candidates will be processed in line with Regulation (EC) N°45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the Community institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data.